We’re Glad You’re Here
The Church on earth has a mission, and that mission involves all of those who are part of God’s redeemed people on this side of heaven. Our mission is to make disciples. We are to reach out with the Good News of our Lord Jesus Christ to people who do not know the power of God’s love for our sinful humanity.
We Invite you to join us in Sharing the Good News.
“And He said to them, ‘Go into all the world and preach the gospel to every creature.’” Mark 16:15
About Our Church
Zion Lutheran Church was founded in 1891 by a group of faithful individuals and families who desired a Lutheran Church in the town of Wallingford. The incorporated name of the congregation was “The Zion Lutheran Evangelical Church of the Unaltered Augsburg Confession.” Over the years, however, people have come to know the church simply as “Zion Lutheran Church.”
In 1911 the congregation built the first church building which was located on the corner of Ward Street and Whittlesey Avenue. In time the members were faced with a need to expand, so they purchased a turkey farm, which was located on Pond Hill Road near the Wallingford-North Haven town line.
The six acres of land has provided more space for the congregation. A pavilion was constructed in 1971 near the woods. Over the years it has been used for the annual church picnic as well as summer outdoor worship services. Plans for the new church building were drawn up and in 1977, the congregation moved to its present location on Pond Hill Road. In 1986 the Voters’ Assembly of the church approved the ministry of a preschool as a mission outreach, calling it “Little Zion Preschool.” In 1987 a playground was started for the children, which has grown with added equipment to provide for a wonderful outdoor experience.
By 1998 a multi-purpose education wing was built and dedicated, providing two early-childhood classrooms, Director’s Office, teacher workroom, Sunday School classrooms, a Youth Room, a Library/Conference Room, and a Sunday School Office. The addition was built to match the existing structure, providing a beautiful facility.
We continue to thank and praise our Lord for the blessings of His presence and grace among us through His Word and Sacraments.